The Language Barrier
English is not an easy language. Something that's close to what you might
want to say could mean something completely different. Here are some
actual things spoken or written by foreigners who are a little rusty on
Signs and Notices:
"Because of the impropriety of
entertaining guests of the opposite sex
in the bedroom, it is suggested that the
lobby be used for this purpose."
-- A sign in a Swiss hotel.
"Ladies, leave your clothes here and
spend the afternoon having a good time."
-- A sign in a laundry in Rome.
"Members and non-members only."
-- A sign outside Mexico City's Mandinga Disco in the Hotel Emporio.
"Shower of Happiness. Total Safety Guaranteed." -- A label on an electric
shower (to heat cold water) in Thailand.
"Do not spit here and there." -- A sign in Calcutta, India.
"Commit No Nuisance." -- A sign in Calcutta, India.
"Dresses for streetwalkers." -- A junk mail ad in Germany.
"Don't get into this."
-- A sign in Japan with the universal "do not enter" symbol.
"We are thinking that 'How to management' is more important than 'What
for sell'. we want to realize that is 'It's well that!' that is our opinion."
-- On the cover of a photo shop's envelopes for newly developed film.
"ParkinginwrongPlaces Will Makeyou accountalbetoLaw Apartfrom being
atresPassingontheRight oftheCitizenandthestate." -- A sign in Luxor,
"Deposit: The owner asks for a deposit of 25.000 ptas
as a guarantee for the flat. This amount will be
returned at the end of your stay if any damage has
been done." -- A sign in a Spanish hotel.
"Warning: Do not leave it in this place which may have a high temperature such
as the car closed." -- Instructions for a CD adapter for a car's tape
"SOTP" -- A sign near a road crossing in Milan.
"Warning! Difficult to swim out if wearing wader filled with water by
falling down! Therefor, please avoid deep water where danger of
drowning possibility exists." -- On the label of a pair of chest waders
manufactured in Taiwan.
"Please leave your values at the front desk."
-- A sign in a Paris hotel.
"Let's skiing." -- A sign in a ski chalet in Nagano, Japan.
"Child be a public servant. The best balance of music and technology within
a vaguely." -- Written on a T-shirt for sale in a market in Hong Kong.
"Dah Wong Path." -- A sign for a park path in Hong Kong.
"Caution Water On Road During Rain" -- A sign in Malaysia.
"Refund!" -- "Caution," as translated into Italian on a "wet floor"
sign in an Italian McDonald's.
"Please to bathe inside the tub." -- A sign in a Japanese hotel room.
"Our staffs are always here waiting for you to patronize them."
-- From an advertisement for a hotel in Tokyo.
"This shop has been moved to the present place for 35 years."
-- From an advertisement for an antique shop in Tokyo.
"Colorful dining space surrounded by stained glasses."
-- From an advertisement for a restaurant in Tokyo.
To everyone of the use, Laundromat.
Many people use a Laundromat. Let's comply with the next item to use it for
the cleanness safety.
1. Let's read the explanation of the way of using it well, and use the
washing machine, the dryness machine properly.
2. Let's wash a hand well before and after a wash.
3. Don't wash the person who get's an epidemic, and clothes which contacted
with the person.
4. Don't wash a diaper which urine stuck to, sports shoes, an animal's rug
because an unpleasantness is given to the person handled later and it is
5. Let's bring it back after you spread the wash from the dryness machine
and a state is done.
6. Please ask a satellite control person in charge for the inquiry about the
establishment, the contact of in case of emergency.
-- Instructions on the wall of the laundry room in a hotel in Tokyo.
"You are welcome to visit the cemetery
where famous Russian and Soviet
composers, artists, and writers are
buried daily except Thursday."
-- A sign in a Moscow hotel across the street from a Russian Orthodox
-- Signs on trash cans in an amusement park in Osaka, Japan.
"You are invited to take advantage of
-- A sign in a Japanese hotel.
"The flattening of underwear with
pleasure is the job of the chambermaid."
-- A sign in a Yugoslavian hotel.
"Specialist in women and other diseases."
-- A sign outside of Roman doctor's office.
"If this is your first visit to the USSR,
you are welcome to it."
-- A sign on the door of a Moscow hotel room.
"Is forbidden to steal towels please. If
you are not a person to do such thing is
please not to read notis."
-- A sign in a Tokyo hotel.
"To more the cabin, push button for
wishing floor. If the cabin should enter
more persons, each one should press a
number of wishing floor. Driving is then
going alphabetically by national order."
-- A sign in a Belgrade elevator.
"Please take one step forward and crap twice."
-- A sign in a temple in China.
"Figure Out Fare Office"
-- A sign on a small wooden house at a bus station in Laos.
"Dresses for street walking."
-- A sign outside a Paris dress shop.
"Our nylons cost more than
common, but you'll find they are the best in the long run."
-- A sign in an Acapulco hotel.
"Ladies are requested not to have children in the bar."
-- A sign in a Norwegian cocktail lounge.
"Order your summers suit. Because is
big rush we will execute customers in
-- A sign in a Rhodes tailor shop.
"The lift is being fixed for the next day.
During that time we regret that you will
-- A sign in a Bucharest hotel lobby.
"Teeth extracted by the latest Methodists."
-- From an advertisement by a dentist in Hong Kong.
"It is strictly forbidden on our Black
Forest camping site that people of
different sex, for instance, men and
women, live together in one tent unless
they are married with each other for
-- A sign posted in Germany's Black Forest.
"Visitors are expected to complain at
the office between the hours of 9 and 11am daily."
-- A sign in a hotel in Athens.
"Dirty Water Punishment Place"
-- How a sewage treatment plant was marked on a Tokyo map.
"The manager has personally passed all the water served here."
-- A sign in an Acapulco hotel.
"Do not enter lift backwards, and only
when lit up."
-- A sign in a Leipzig elevator.
"Not to perambulate the corridors in the
hours of repose in the boots of ascension."
-- A sign in an Austrian hotel catering to skiers.
"Take one of our horse driven city tours -- we guarantee no miscarriages."
-- A sign in a Czechoslovakian tourist agency.
"We take your bags and send them in
-- A sign in a Copenhagen airline ticket office.
"Ladies may have a fit upstairs."
-- A sign outside a Hong Kong tailor shop.
"Here speeching American."
-- A sign in a Majorcan shop entrance.
"Please do not feed the animals. If you
have any suitable food, give it to the
guard on duty."
-- A sign in a Budapest zoo.
"For your convenience, we recommend
courteous, efficient self-service."
-- A sign in a Hong Kong supermarket.
"In case of fire, do your utmost to alarm the hotel porter."
-- A sign in a Vienna hotel.
"Warning: Please do not leave children unattended. We are not responsible
for lost children or injuries." -- A sign by an apparently dangerous
koi pond in a Chinese Restaurant.
"WARNING: Tips for waitress not privilege off customer, and not optonal to do!
Is custimarry and IS THE LAW for leave tips, otherwise is possibul to face
prostection by law! Please be responsivele, leave tip and no go jail! Have a
nice day!" -- A sign on tables in a Chinese Restaurant in the United
"Coffee and Snakes" -- A sign in a coffee shop in Ingolstadt, Germany.
"Billiards and Snocker" -- A sign in a pool hall in Ingolstadt,
"Cramp Heads" -- On a box of clamp heads from Japan.
"Stop. Drive sideways."
-- A detour sign in Japan.
"Special Today - no ice cream"
-- A sign at a Swiss inn.
"You did not report yourself by the Alien police.
You have to do this in a short time, otherwise you get troubles!
When you don't come to our office, we demand you to come!
And when you don't come again, you maybe have to pay a fine, and it is
possible that you will be expanded."
-- A letter sent by the Rotterdam (Netherlands) foreign police to someone
who did not show up for a registration appointment.
"Please Use The Thong's."
-- A sign asking customers to serve themselves rolls with the tongs
provided; see a scanned image.
"If you need to detain a burglar untill the authorities arive, this firewire
cable can render approximately three perpetrators imobile when properly
-- From a label on a fire wire cable.
Healthy Non-taste ice-maker. -- The hilariously convoluted instructions
on a 'healthy non-taste ice-maker' product are too many to list here; see
a scanned image for the full text.
"Adults: 1 tablet 3 times a day until passing away."
-- From instructions on a Japanese medicine bottle.
"Let's decompose and enjoy assembling!"
-- Instructions for a puzzle toy made in Taiwan.
"three types of ball are offered. They are one. two. three."
-- Instructions for Chinese Baoding Exercise balls.
"Can't food or drink." -- On a bottle of cleaning fluid for a 3 1/2"
head cleaning disk.
"Not to be used for the other use." -- On a Japanese food processor.
"Cease Fire." -- On a fire extinguisher in Calcutta, India.
"1. Lift up receiver. 2. Insert phone card. 3. Dial 0999 + number.
4. Say Hello." -- On a phone card in Japan.
"You will know radio on by enchanting green light."
-- From the instructions for a Hitachi radio.
"This is natural deliciousness given from warm solar light and a rich field.
Attach it to time of your wonderful tea. Please ear it on the tea time of
afternoon." -- On the wrapper of a brand of tea cookies.
"Warning! Click the model you need! Be sure to downlode the
correct software; otherwise, the device will be out of work!!"
-- From the drivers section of a model manufacturer's web site.
"Cooles and Heates: If you want just
condition of warm in your room, please
-- From the instructions on a Japanese hotel air conditioner.
"Plug the phone jack into the wall. If the phone rings, pick it up and greet
the person on the other end by saying 'Hello!' or another such greeting. Once
completing your conversation, hang up the phone." -- Instructions for a
telephone manufactured in Japan.
"Please find scales on the adjusting plates, there are 3 concavities for
3 different heights (26", 700C & 28"), fit carrier on your bike after
chooseing 1 suitable scales, make sure this is right size and screw it up."
-- From the instructions for a bike rack. The instructions also
had a "Parta List."
"Assembly. 1. Attach upper pipe to pillar pipe and pull out pillar pipe
until the top of upper pipe is reached to the ceiling. 2. Tighten the short
bolt of pipe support connector all the way. 3. Turn pole to counter
clockwise with holding rubber foot to have secured strong set up or you can
turn rubber foot to clockwise. 4. Measuring appreciate height to hang
clothes and fasten bracket tightly to poles. 5. Pull out cross bar to
appreciate length." -- Instructions for a closet insert manufactured
"Please be sure to keep the vents on top open. Do not bring spillables near
these, like chicken soup and dust." -- Instructions, translated from
Mandarin, for a computer monitor.
"Fingering the nothingness that underlies everything."
-- How a Japanese technical manual referred to a "pointer to void."
"Almighty type." -- On a box for a universal (guitar/bass) guitar holder
"Known to cure itching, colds, stomachs, brains, and other diseases."
-- On a bottle of Chinese medicine.
"I can singing and dancing." -- On a toy gorilla.
"With Fresh Vegetables dayly... Just a little bit, different Tastes of a
regular cook." -- Instructions on the box of a cooking device for making
"Helps you in cooking fast, joyful beautiful sharp edged!" -- More
instructions from the potato curl device box.
"Made of Safety Type, Hi-Quality Nylon Brinforced Glass" -- More
instructions from the potato curl device box.
"Helps your cooking fast, joyfully with wonderfully edged strings!"
-- Instructions from the potato curl device manual.
"Slices, Tine cuts, Strips, etc., made speedily and with no wastes."
-- More instructions from the potato curl device manual.
"Polygon Form: It is a solid image by the line and plane. Anyone is
assembled on the screen." -- On the label of a T-shirt purchased
"Strong disk plug." -- "Hard drive," as translated into
Italian on the instruction sheet for a Taiwanese hard drive.
Rules for climbing Mt. Fuji:
- A teffific Gust often overtakes three times consecutively. Keep yourself
lying flat on the siope until it's completely blown over. Danger comes
soonest when it's despised.
- In case of Bad weather such as, storm, fain, snow and a dense fog,
avoid climbing futher than the fifth staition. when the weather breaks
Suddely. just give up half-way and Return.
- The nearest-to-the-sky location in Japan is far colder than the feets of
- Bring garbage back to your home.
"If a tour group contains more than the number stiputed above, it is
different in application. The particulars will be asked the clerk at the
window. A man below 18 years old should be accompanied by the adults."
-- Rules for touring the Kyoto Imperial Palace in Kyoto, Japan.
"For long distance Dial 0 and Aria Cord."
-- Instructions on a phone in a hotel in Japan.
"Qimiao" top is an intellectual toy made auording to physical fundamentals, it
has simple stmcture, advanced technological procese, delicate model and
various ways to play. It inspires children's thacghts and touches off the
latent energy of scientific knowledge. Deep individually the friends welcome.
To start with the rack: Make the rack tallywith the wheel, Then pull it out
with ease, make the top rotate at a high speed.
- To start with the thread: wind the thread around the axis, hold the outside
circle of the top with left hand, peass thelong end of the thread with the
left palm, draw out the short amd of the thread with force, make the top
rotate at the high speed.
A life seems to bave been poured into the rotafing toy as soom as it gets
started. LED will rmit light and form a colorful circle, NO inatter where it
is or what angle it is at, the toy may always atand wpright, lay down, It is
veny enyoyable, Many diggicult and exciting plays can be xomplets during the
-- Instructions on a top made in China.
"Synopsis of the Healthy Ball
The Introduction Remarks of Gymnastic Batt Bail Modelled on Cloisnne And
Gymnaastic Ball Modelled on Jade Design.
Cloisonne Gymnastic Ball and Jade Gymnastic Ball modelled after the
traditional techological process of doisonne and painting of China. It not
only carries on the ancient traditional technology,
but also creates some more patterns. So it becomes even more
sounder. wear-resisting and it is not so cold as iron ones in winter. It
is a king of handicrafte treasure senior gift and the best thing for middle
or old men to built up their bodies.
The ball is based on the theory of traditional chinese medical
science that every finger links with the heart. when you move the balls on
your palm, all the muscles and joints would be put in motion, and thus the
body of the ball will stimulate each acupuncture point on the hand.
This can makc the circulation of vital energy and blood go through.
Wbile you play with the ball, it can provide a sounding of high and
low. The sounding will regulate your nervous system and relax your muscles.
After a period of time of exercises, it can prevent high blood
pressure from appearing, stop nerves from being weak of insomnia,
neurasthenia and moreover to prolong your life. The only way you can reach
the aim is never stop exercising the ball on your palm
When playing with balls, hold two of them with the palm of your hand.enable
the two balls to go around each other. It is suitable for beginners to
choose the ball in sm ll size to play with. when you got the skill to play,
you can choose the ball in bigger size, and then you can play with three or
four within one hand at a time.
The ball is made of metal, which should be kept dry and clean and
prevent from violent collision.If it to be put unused for a long time coat
it with wax or grease for sealing and preservation"
-- Instructions on a Cloisonne Hand Exercising Balls, which are two
hand-painted metallic balls with chimes inside them. The intention is to roll
the balls around in your palm as a means of stress relief and relaxation.
"Setting Pre Ceiling Way and Means:
(1) with appertain rotor of screw setting
pre ceiling on the under standing that serew no wield.May wield
two-faced,pressboard securing. wied pre to begin with wiping ceiling of bilge
(2) Thread of length need half as many again as tad.
(3) Open toy
of batteries shuck. Verification batteries,+,-whereafter stow down.to a
certainty need locknat lest take place accident.
(4) Hook through toys apside
(5) Needs swithes shoving NO.for pre arrows specifying of
orention shoving. Pack it up time, withbold toy pate,need switches shoving OFF.
* Prythee no sport with stingy or play asperity game. Winding finger have
got bloodstream not wallk. Throagh of peril.
* Tad disport of time grown man
* Till the cowcomes home.Wield toys damage,burn-in prythee wind to
a close wield.
* Give attention to open/close toys,therefore take place
peril.for instance slipup batteries wield result in the emission of heat
rupture liquid.vent itself prythee pay attention.
* Play at sith to a
certainty bolt up power supply fetch out batteries.
* Batteries no
electification dissolution,plunge ioto aquaor fire.
* Not trust for tad
batteries lest in advertent eat off. In the event of accident without loss of
time plythee pillroller tuke order with.
May pre house the seamy side
-- Instructions and warnings on a Dragonball-Z toy. See a
"The new-designed costume facilitates the figure which in fine proportion
with moveable joints acts lively. Transformation comes possible."
"Beware of being swallowed by child, due to small parts."
"Avoid disturbing the other while enjoying this item."
"During cutting, do not put your head too close."
"There is difference between up and down."
"Insert G-51 until you hear 'Kar'."
-- Excerpts from the instructions on a Dragonball-Z action figure.
"1. Check the screws, wheels for loosen and abnormality, height of handle and
handle before usage.
2. This product is for sliding only, please don't modify this product.
3. For you safety, please put on safety helmet, knee, elbows and wrist
guards and put on leisure clothing. Never wear high heel shoes or shoes with
slipper sole, avoid headphone and sun glass.
4. Avoid riding together with two persons or on busy street, pedestrian
path, gravel road or any place which tend to slippery. We're commend using
this product on a parking lot or road without traffic or vacant asphalt game
5. Please don't use by children or person who doesn't read this instruction.
6. Please don't use this product in case of drinking or physically unfit.
7. Please don't use this product in case of raining, snowing, at night.
8. Brake is unable to provide reliable protection on slopes, thus, aware of
the speed and make sure you can stop when necessary. But don't reduce the
speed too fast, you may fall.
9. Please grip the handles properly while using; besides, don't use this
product as a transportation vehicle. Pay attention to pedestrian,
handicapped, bike rider, roller skater, skateboard player or pet to avoid
10. You may lose your balance while tuming, you are batter to get off or
decrease your speed before tuming.
11. Pay attention to the furrows on the road, for the wheel may get stuck or
blocked at tramlines or manhole covers.
12. The weight limit of this product on application is 150LBS or less.
13. This product is suitable for sliding only, do not overestimate your
skills. You should adapt the speed to your abiliyt always, it is a good idea
to get off if you in doubt of traffic conditions.
14. When self-locking nuts and other self-locking fixings may loose their
-- The safety sheet for a scooter manufactured in Asia.
Primary mission is to produce
the jeans that fit all people who
create dreams, make movements
Jeans and build up new cultures"
Such as the product quantity or the manufacture
processes the one who have minor faults, please
since purchase on sixth inside with this card and
purchase the invoice to go to purchase the location
at first at first gratis replace the new article, did
not hold this card and purchase the voucher
forgives to be free from the reason, please
according to wash away dirt to mark the elucidation
rinse, thanks!Cause damage because artificial
negligence or did not press the printing of our
company rinse to mark the elucidation, don't
guarantee the scope at the origin"
"- Can Wash
- Can't soak, can't the chlorine wash
- The low temperature is very hot
- Can't the washer dry
- Can dry-clean"
-- Instructions on an article of clothing.
"Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try your Nice Chinese Food with
Chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history. and
cultual." -- Instructions on a chopsticks wrapper.
"Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try Your Nice Chinese Food With
Chopsticks. the traditional and typical If Chinaes glorious history and
culture." -- Instructions on the wrapper for the same brand of chopsticks,
as rewritten months later.
"Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try your Nice Chinese Food with
chopsticks. the traditional and typical of Chinese glonous history and
cultual." -- The same instructions, rewritten still more months
"Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try your Nice Chinese Food With
Chopsticke the traditional and trpical of Chinese glorious history and
cultual." -- Another rewrite.
"Learn how to use your chopsticks
Tuk under thurnb and hcld firmly
Add second chcostick hold it as you hold a pencil
Hold tirst chopstick in originai position move the second one up and down
Now you can pick up anything:"
-- Instructions for using chopsticks, on the back of the same
chopsticks wrapper mentioned above.
"Add second chopstick hold it you hold a pencil. Hold first chopstick in
onginial position move the second one up and down Now you can pick up
anything:" -- A rewrite.
"Hold first chopstick on orginal position move its second up and down now you
can pick - up anything" -- Another rewrite.
"Two little sticks
They're made out of wood
And they help you
To pick up your lunch
And if you practice
Then you'd get good
And you'll tind you can pick up
A bunch to munch
Eat noodles with chopsticks
Eat dumplings with chopsticks
Eat sushi with chopsticks
Don't eat soup with your chopsticks
That's no good with chopsticks
And jello with slide off
I eat with chopsticks
Can you eat with chopsticks
Doctor told us
Be intell eat by using chopsticks
Lots of people use chopsticks
So try eat your chopsticks
-- The same brand of chopsticks, apparently giving up on prose and going
for poetry instead.
"Hey, you there! Open those windows. Let the air force come in!"
-- Spoken by a teacher for whom English was a second language.
"With you I feel myself in kindergarten!" -- Spoken by a Russian teacher
of mathematics to a noisy class.
Brochures and Newspapers:
"When a passenger of foot heave in sight,
tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously
at first, but if he still obstacles your
passage tootle him with vigor."
-- From a brochure at a Tokyo car rental firm.
"In this real environment replicated entertainment park, you can
enjoy the very things of Hongkong by just stepping your foot one step in.
Here lies the amazing experience never elsewhere."
-- On a brochure for an amusement park in Odaiba, Japan.
"Some people just think that Odaiba is just like a double sided magic mirror.
Yes, exactly. Whatever dream you have, you may find its trace and realize it
in Odaiba. Just tour through Odaiba by Free Shuttle Bus. To your surprise,
you may make new friends."
-- On a brochure for Odaiba, Japan.
"There are a newspaper publishing company and a special exibition by own
company plan. Be planned a wide genre from a picture to a photograph by
-- On a brochure for Odayku Museum in Japan.
"Toyota E-com will be come a main type of car suitable for commutation in
metropolis and the suburbs nearly in the future."
-- On a brochure in Japan.
"The story of each riding is different. Many people cannot help riding
again and again."
-- On a brochure for a theme park in Japan.
"Have formality of the first kabuki play ground. There is the earphone guide
who can hear explanation which enjoying the play."
-- On a brochure for Idemitsu Museum in Japan.
"Mt. Kilimanjaro, the breathtaking backdrop for the Serena Lodge. Swim
in the lovely pool while you drink it all in."
-- From a brochure.
-- From a advertising paper for a local disco in Luxembourg.
"A Great Stage Where Wings of the World Gather, Flap, and Fly skyward."
-- From a guide to the Narita airport.
"Val d'Isere, a resort village, expects you in Winter as well as in Summer
for spending relaxing and well-being moments in its comfortable
environment." -- From a brochure for the Val d'Isere ski resort.
"In case of fire, please read this." -- On a Saudi hotel's fire
"In the close village you can buy jolly memorials for when you pass away."
-- From a tourist brochure.
"Come to Juan's Jewelry Shop. We won't screw you too much."
-- On cards handed out by a man in front of a jewelry shop in Mexico.
"A new swimming pool is rapidly taking shape since the contractors have
thrown in the bulk of their workers."
-- From a story in an East African newspaper.
"Having freshly taken over the propriety of this notorious house, I am
wishful that you remove to me your esteemed costume. Standing among
savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a
french widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects. I give
personal look to the interior wants of each guest. Here, you shall be well
fed-up and agreeably drunk. Our charges for weekly visitors are scarcely
creditable. Peculiar arrangements for gross parties, our motto is ever serve
you right!" -- From a European holiday brochure.
The ATT Tokyo Guide, an English magazine distributed free at hotels:
"Kabukiza Theater. The theatre which excellent lines exist, and is famous. Be
brilliant, and the stage equipped with is proud of Kabukiza."
"Mitsuo AIDA Museam. Three minute by feet exit Ginza Yurakucho. A work of
poet Mituo Aida stands in line. Change an exhibition ever 1~3 months and
there is a shop too."
"National Science Museum. Be only total science museums in Japan. Classified
roughly to the natural group of secretaries gate, the department of science
and engineering gate, and exhibit it."
"Tokyo International Forum. Various events are done. As a foothold of active
international interchange, a multiporpose can utilize it. The open space
that imaged one garden between a hall building and glass buildings is space
of spacious rest."
"Karakuri Museum. Deceive you, and exhibit a picture and trick art. Oh own
mechanism pictures of a Shah, and photograph photography in building is
"Ueno Zoo. The zoo which was made for the first time in Japan. Show an animal
equal to or more than 361 kinds including a giant panda of popularity."
"Q-Front. This skeleton building opened in December 1999. A picture of the
Shibuya bee public front is projected by a building and an eye of people
pays attention to it. A what's new of Shibuya such as a movie, a music, a
book, a gourmet gathers here."
"Tokyo IMAX Theater. Can enjoy the picture which puts on exclusive glasses,
and is full of a sense of reality. 9/2, 2000 - 3/2, 2001, It has 'Michale
Joedan to the MAX' for foreign his fan it is perfect English version!"
"Isetan Museum. Opening time, the closure day follows a department store.
Plan an exhibition of wellknown West art mainly on a picture exibition.
Befull-scale museums of existence, of a pioneer as a museum of a department
"Toshogu Shrine. Enshrine a virtue river house with Toshogu Shrine style of
the early days. A stone garden lantern in the left is called an another name
'Obake Toro (apparition garden lantern)' and be japanese three large garden
"Mecca of sumo, Ryogoku. If Akihabara is Mecca of an electricity product, the
two countries is Mecca of sumo. Several times sumo tournaments are done in a
year. A beer hall and a sumo wrestler are daily, and an appetite famous sumo
wrestler's meal shop to grind scatters at the outskirts of Ryogoku station a
"If you understand English, press 1. If you do not understand English, press
2." -- From a recording on an Australian information line, which was
set up to answer questions about the new Goods and Services Tax plan.
"If you need help in Spanish, please tell an employee 'Ayudar en Espanol' and
they will get you help over the telephone." -- From a sign in an
English Product Names In Foreign Countries:
"Lemon Gas" -- The name of a gas station in Japan.
"Life Up Station SMILE" -- The name of a gas station in Japan.
"Calpis Nude" -- The name of a kind of soda in Japan.
English Text on Food Packaging:
"Just like feeling a fruit in just season itself."
-- From the packaging of a Japanese brand of orange juice.
"Black coffee has great features which other coffees
have never had: Non-sugar."
-- From the packaging of a Japanese brand of coffee.
"Pocari Sweat is highly recommended as a beverage for
such activities as sports, physical labor, after a hot
bath, and even as a eye-opener in the morning."
-- From the packaging of a Japanese beverage called "Pocari Sweat."
"What are your priorities? Favor? Refreshment? Price?
Sparkle? Sapporo Drafty has them all."
-- From the packaging of a Japanese beer.
"This light and smooth taste drink is the best
refreshment to you. Anytime, anywhere, just like your friend."
-- From the packaging of a Japanese no-name brand of orange juice.
"Expiration date: 2 years." -- From the packaging of a Chinese brand
"Wuyi sticky candy is based on the traditional craft and modern dessert
technology. It Selects high quality sesame kernel and pine nut kernel walnut
kernel peanut kernel as its materials and goes through 24 working
procedures.With the original taste , pure and perfect flavour, it is a best
leisure product and present."
-- From the packaging of a Chinese candy product;
see a scanned image.
- "Your life should be recorded for prosperity."
Product Name Translations:
- "Schweppes Toilet Water." -- "Schweppes Tonic Water," as
originally translated into Italian.
- "Manure stick." -- "Mist Stick," a brand of curling iron,
in German slang.
- "Micro tender rat." -- "Microsoft Mouse," as translated into
Italian on the instruction sheet for a Taiwanese Microsoft-compatible
- "Eat your fingers off." -- "Finger lickin' good," as originally
translated into Chinese.
- "Are you lactating?" -- "Got milk?" as originally translated into
Spanish for advertising in Mexico.
- "Suffer from diarrhea." -- "Turn it loose," as originally
translated into Spanish for advertising of Coors.
- "Fly naked." -- "Fly in leather," as originally translated into
Spanish for advertising of American Airlines' leather first
- "I saw the potato." -- "I saw the Pope," as translated into
Spanish. The slogan was used on promotional T-Shirts for the Pope's
visit to Miami.
- "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux." -- An English slogan used by
Scandinavian vacuum manufacturer Electrolux for an American advertising
- "Be a prostitute." -- The Dr. Pepper advertising slogan "Be a
Pepper," as understood in England, where "pepper" is slang for
"prostitute." Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?
From Foreign Menus:
- "Our wines leave you nothing to hope for."
-- From a menu in Switzerland.
- "Savour best match of the mysterious sauces."
-- From a menu in Japan.
- "Modernly arranged miscellaneous European Flavors."
-- From a menu in Japan.
- "Vietnam bird salad, mixed Chimaki and asian corses."
-- From a menu in Japan.
- "Seasonal ingredients specially pre-pared and directly imported from
their place of origination."
-- From a menu in Japan.
- "Cold shredded children and sea blubber in spicy sauce."
-- From a menu in China.
- "Jam and Cheese Sandwich." -- From a menu in Costa Rica.
- "Pastry Chef." -- From a menu in Costa Rica.
- "Waffies." -- From a menu in Thailand.
- "Children soup." -- From a menu in India.
- "Deep Fried Fingers of my Lady." -- From a menu in India.
- "Grilled lamp ribs." -- From a menu in Barcelona.
- "Vegitational beef soap." -- From a menu in Brazil.
- "'Boys style' little chickens."
-- From a menu in Barcelona.
- "Pork with fresh garbage." -- From a menu in Vietnam.
- "Limpid red beet soup with cheesy dumplings in the form of a finger."
-- From a menu in Poland.
- "French fried ships." -- From a menu in Cairo.
- "Fried friendship." -- From a menu in Nepal.
- "Fried fishermen." -- From a menu in Japan.
- "Friend eggs." -- From a menu in Laos.
- "Gordon blue." -- From a menu in a Korean hotel.
- "Cram Chowder." -- From a Chinese buffet in Canada.
- "Rather burnt land slug." -- On a menu in Thailand.
- "Chessburger." -- On a menu in Poland.
- "Hod dok." -- On a menu in Poland.
- "Turkey meat, salad, and sos." -- A creative spelling of "sauce" on
a menu in Poland.
- "Roat poik." -- From a menu in a Chinese Restaurant in the
- "Ckicken Velvet and Ckicken Noddle." -- The soups of the day
listing, from a menu in a Chinese Restaurant in the United
- "Ha Ha Fortune Cookies." -- From a menu in a Chinese Restaurant
in the United States.
- "Sweat from the trolley." -- From a menu in Europe.
- "Salad a firm's own make." -- From a menu in Poland.
- "Dreaded veal cutlet with potatoes in cream." -- From a menu in
- "Strawberry crap." -- From a menu in Japan.
- "Beef rashers beaten up in the country people's fashion."
-- From a menu in Poland.
- "Buttered saucepans and fried hormones." -- From a menu in
- "Indonesian Nazi Goreng." -- From a menu in Hong Kong.
- "Muscles Of Marines/Lobster Thermos." -- From a menu in Cairo.
- "Toes with butter and jam." -- From a menu in Bali.
- "Teppan Yaki - Before Your Cooked Right Eyes." -- From a menu in
- "Soon Go Fatt" -- The name of a Chinese Restaurant in Kuala
- "Hamanegs." -- From many menus in Slovakia.
- "Guinea-Pig Breast." -- From a menu in Slovakia.
- "Are you finished? No, I'm Swedish." -- From a "Learn English"
tape in Finland.
English-As-A-Second-Language Placement Test Essay Quotations
- "If you seat down and wash TV all time, you get fat."
- "I hate to see people sad or angry because you only get one life so
why waste it on retarted stuff."
- "We could talk, eat snakes and laugh."
- "Sometimes television's programation has bad bad quality of programs."
- "I was a prodigy of a teenage pregnancy."
- "In conclusion, television affects my life by not getting a part-time job
in the afternoon."
- "In the 18th century, there weren't many television programs designed for
- "New Mexico are my best experience or best times I never had."
- "Travel is an activity that makes me feel another person."
- "I felt the happiest woman on Earth at the time."
- "T.V. could be bad too because you could go more blinder."
- "I recently gave birth to a gorgeous and healthy five-month-old baby
- "If not for the cell phones, we would still not know where we are at."
- "Just feeling the cool breeze going through my face."
- "A world without television is a world without knowing, and without
television there would be no famous people."
- "I use my dancing skills at clubs, churches, and AA gatherings."
- "History deeply amuses, from the Ice Age to the war in Iraq."
- "I came to the conclusion that apart from myself, I don't
have any talents."
- "On top of her, I have a pretty big family."
- "Anyone can laugh at a good joke or enjoy watching a friend trip."
- "When I'm in my nursing home and some detestable scoundrel dares to steal
my pudding, you know I'll be willing to throw down."
- "Cell phones evolutionated the industry of communication."
- "The calming crash of the waves against the rocks screamed serenity."
- "Equal goes it loose." -- German President, translating "It will
soon begin" into English.
- "I am looking for an realy educated man who can be joke to himself."
-- Excerpt from the personal ad of a Russian woman.
- "When a mountain forming granite, lava is what?"
-- Question on an exam written by an eastern Indian instructor.
- "This Hit Man Is Not As Cold As He Thought" -- "The Professional"
in Hong Kong.
- "Six Stripped Warriors" -- "The Full Monty" in Hong Kong (the title
is a Cantonese colloquialism; in Mandrin, it translates to "Six
- "Mysterious Murder In Snowy Cream" -- "Fargo" in Hong Kong
(in Cantonese, "snowy cream" is pronounced "fah go").
- "Bright Sun, Just Like Me" -- "Good Will Hunting" in Hong Kong.
- "Bright Sun In Heavy Rain" -- "Dead Poets Society" in Hong
- "The Big Liar" -- "Nixon" in Hong Kong.
- "Don't Ask Me Who I Am" -- "The English Patient" in Hong Kong.
- "Mr. Cat Poop" -- "As Good As It Gets" in Hong Kong.
Advertisement Quotes For Movies Opening In Taiwan:
- "After Air Force One, Harrison Ford is flying a airplane,
again!" -- Six Days, Seven Nights
- "The style of characters is phat, special effects are cool, this
film is phat and cool." -- Small Soldiers
- "The perfect style with a great taste to save the world."
-- The Avengers
English Subtitles In Hong Kong Films:
- "I threat you! I challenge you meet me on the roof tonight for a
duet!" -- The Iceman Cometh
- "I will kill you until you are dead from it!"
- "Just scold Chang as 'Shame-less a*****e' for three times. Then you will
free from this kind of suffer forever." -- The Kung Fu Cult
- "You will not happy ending!" -- The Kung Fu Cult Master
- "Master, where are those people of Ming Sect? They seem to be
disappeared." -- The Kung Fu Cult Master
- "He started it first!" -- Fong Sai-Yuk II
- "I've to cut partial of my freedom." -- Once Upon a Time In
China and America
- "He is jealousing!" -- Dr. Wai and the Scripture Without Words
- "It is destinated to be you!" -- Dr. Wai and the Scripture
- "The bullets inside are very hot. Why do I feel so cold?"
-- Lethal Panther
- "I got knife-scars more than the number of your leg's hair!"
-- As Tears Go By
- "I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way."
-- Holy Weapon
- "Fatty, you with your thick face have hurt my instep."
-- Pedicab Driver
- "I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
-- Pom Pom and Hot Hot
- "You are too useless. And now I must beat you."
- "Gun wounds again?" -- Rich and Famous
- "A normal person wouldn't steal pituitaries." -- Brain Theft
- "You always use violence. I should've ordered glutinous rice chicken."
-- Pedicab Driver
- "Take my advice, or I'll spank you without pants."
-- The Seventh Curse
- "Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected."
-- Saviour of the Soul
- "Who gave you the nerve to get killed here?" -- Armour of God
- "Quiet or I'll blow your throat up." -- On the Run
- "You daring lousy guy." -- Satyr Monks
- "Beat him out of recognizable shape!" -- Police Story 2
- "How can you use my intestines as a gift?" -- The Beheaded 100
- "Damn, I'll burn you into a BBQ chicken!" -- Pedicab Driver
- "This will be of fine service for you, you bag of the scum. I am sure
you will not mind that I remove your manhoods and leave them out on
the dessert flour for your aunts to eat."
- "Yah-hah, evil spider woman! I have captured you by the short rabbits and
can now deliver you violently to your gynecologist for a thorough
- "Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up
together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate
feets on some @$$ of the giant lizard person."
The trousers preventing water for baby
You are bidding on Brand new diaper. Layer adopt dry clean net surface,
have scattered heat, let in air waiting for effect, protect baby young
tender skin very goodly. Middle-level waterproof cloth go through shrink
draw material processing handling, pulling force is strong, completely
prevent leakage, beautiful again durable. The most outer use fine 100%
cotton material and relevant assist material seam system, make baby
comfortable. Trousers pipe adept high-grade material, from flexible
elasticity material seam system, take action freely, use is convenient.
Excuse me for your busy time.
My name is Koji Sato. I work in [company name deleted].
My Section is to sell Japanese Sword at a low price.
As our web site about Japanese Sword Gallery and Shopping is created,
I sent e-mail for you that it seems to be interested in Martial Arts,
Budo, Japanese sword etc.
Our URL is below.
Please visit our site and send your comments for me.
Your e-mail address is extracted by using our software automatically.
Back to the
Things People Said main page.